A Moment That Stayed Forever
The soft rumble of the Bengaluru metro vibrated beneath my feet as I clung tightly to the metal railing, packed in by a sea of people. I’d boarded all the way from Whitefield, hoping for a bit of space to breathe, but that hope quickly vanished. Majestic had come and gone, yet I remained standing, surrounded by swaying shoulders and backs pressing in. The warmth of the crowd was stifling, and with every lurch of the metro car, the ache in my back deepened.
"Next stop is Vijaynagar, the doors will open to your left ..," the system announced, and I let out a small sigh, counting down the minutes until I’d finally get to escape the crush. Just then, the man sitting in front of me rose to get off, his foot landing directly on mine. I winced, stepping back instinctively to avoid further damage, only to feel my own foot collide with someone else’s.
“Ouch!” came a soft, angelic voice. My heart stopped at the sound, and I spun around to apologize.
And there she was.
For a moment, the bustling metro faded, and my world narrowed to just her face. She had the most captivating eyes I’d ever seen—deep brown, lined perfectly with kohl, holding a warmth that seemed to radiate straight into me. A small bindi rested between her brows, adding a delicate elegance to her expression. Her features were graceful, with high cheekbones and a gentle smile that somehow softened and enchanted her whole face.
“I’m so sorry!” I stammered, trying to gather my words under her gaze. She gave me a forgiving smile, her eyes twinkling with understanding. "It’s okay," she replied gently, her voice soothing. “I get it. Crowded place.” There was an easy warmth to her tone, as though she found the whole thing mildly amusing.
I managed a small, awkward smile back, feeling my pulse quicken. As I turned back around, my heart beat even faster, and I couldn’t shake the urge to turn again, just to glimpse those mesmerizing eyes one more time. In those few seconds, I had memorized her face, each delicate feature imprinted in my mind. She looked like something out of a dream, with radiant skin and soft waves of hair that framed her face perfectly.
Finally, I closed my eyes and gathered the courage to turn back once more. But as I did, the train was already pulling away from Vijayanagar. She was gone.
Desperately, my eyes scanned the platform, hoping to catch one last sight of her. Just as the doors began to close, I saw her—stepping down onto the platform, turning back for just a moment. Her eyes found mine across the distance, and for that one brief, electrifying second, we locked gazes once more.
Then, with a shy smile, she disappeared into the crowd, leaving me with the bittersweet memory of those unforgettable eyes, and the sense of a fleeting connection that I knew would stay with me for a long, long time.
Engaging writing, reeled me in from the start and kept my interest. The story was paced well. Would love to read more and know the characters.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!! :)
Delete